Top 10 Reasons why Christians believe Jesus is God
The question about whether Jesus is God has been discussed over and over for years, among Christians and non-Christians alike. Thankfully, the scriptures point towards the fact the He is truly God, putting to rest the question, “Is Jesus God?” Below are 10 reasons why Christians believe Jesus is God.
10. Jesus performed miracles that had never been seen before
- The miracles that Jesus performed are extraordinary evidence of the fact that He is God. For example, he healed lepers, as well as deaf and blind individuals. He also fed 5000 people using 5 loaves and 2 fish. Jesus also spoke to a storm and commanded it to be still. He would not have had the power to perform miracles if He was not God. John 10: 37-38 alludes to this fact.
9. Jesus made claims that no human could make
- Jesus made several claims that could only have been fulfilled if He was God. In Matthew 11:28, for instance, He promises all who are weary and burdened that He will give them rest. Also, in Matthew 28:18, He declares that all authority in heaven and earth has been given to Him. Only someone who is God could make such claims, and cause them to come to pass.
8. Jesus existed before the world was made
- Is Jesus God? Yes, He is, because He was in existence before the world was created. In John 1:1, the Bible states that Jesus (The Word) was there in the beginning, He was with God, and He was God! In John 17: 5, Jesus prays and asks God the Father to glorify Him in His presence with the same glory that He had with God before the world began.ext someone asks you if Jesus is God, give him or her this to read!
7. Jesus possesses attributes that are unique to God
- One of the attributes that Jesus possesses that are similar to those that God has includes omnipresence. In Matthew 28:20, Jesus says that He will be with His people always, until the end of the age. Another attribute is that of being all-knowing. In Job 37:16, Job declares that God has perfect knowledge, and in Colossians 2:3, the Apostle Paul declares that all treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden in Christ. Other attributes include being eternal and all-powerful.
6. Jesus performs unique works similar to what God performs
- Everyone knows that God created the universe, right? Well, in John 1:3, note that without the Word (Jesus), nothing was created that has been created. Also, in Hebrews 1:3, the Bible states that just like God, Jesus sustains all things. Lastly, Jesus, like God the Father, also forgives sin. In Colossians 3:13, Christians are encouraged to forgive one another just as the Lord Jesus Christ forgave them.
5. Jesus Himself claimed to be God
- In the Bible, Jesus refers to Himself as God. One example is in John 5:18, where He was accused of referring to God as His father, thus making Him one with God. Another example is in John 10:33, where the Jews were ready to stone Jesus because He had declared He was God yet the Jews knew Him as a man. For Jesus to have been accused of calling Himself God, there must have been truth in what He said! Nobody would have bothered if the accusations were false.!
4. The Bible calls Jesus God
- Is Jesus God? The Bible refers to Him as God several times. In Isaiah 9:6, Jesus is referred to as a mighty God. In John 1:1, Jesus (The Word) was with God, and was God. In Colossians 1:15, the Bible refers to Jesus as the image of the invisible God.
3. Jesus possesses titles that are unique to God
- Some of the titles that refer to Jesus and are unique to God include the Lord (Isaiah 43:11), Savior of all the world (John 4:42), Savior from sins (Matthew 1:21), and the First and the Last (Isaiah 40:12). These titles point to the unique character and works of Jesus and God.
2. His resurrection from the dead confirms that He is God
- The fact that Jesus rose from the dead confirms that He is God because only God has power over sin and death. Romans 1:3-4 states that though Jesus was born in the flesh, and was crucified, He conquered death through His resurrection.
1. Jesus refers to Himself as divine
- In the Bible, Jesus refers to Himself as “I Am”, meaning that He was there before the world began, He is here now, and He will be there in the future. Only a person of divine nature can pull that off. Some of the verses that refer to this include John 8:58 (before Abraham was, I am), Isaiah 41:4 (I am He), Isaiah 46:4 (I am He who will sustain you). These statements indicate that Jesus is not of this world, but He is from God.
Have Questions? Need Support
Is Jesus God? Yes, He is, based on the top 10 reasons why Christians believe Jesus is God listed above.
A NEXT STEP
The more we learn, the more questions can sometimes arise.
God designed us for community, not to figure everything out by ourselves.
Harbour Fellowship Church in St. Catharines would love to connect with you, hear your story, and join you in moving forward.