The Bible was written such a long time ago, why should we believe it’s true? It has such a big impact on culture today, but how do we know it’s trustworthy?
For many years people have doubted the authenticity of the Bible, as well as the truths inside it. Below are 10 reasons you can trust the Bible, reasons you can share with anyone who does not believe in it!
10. The Bible claims to be from God
- Within the Bible, several verses indicate that it came from God Himself. One example is the phrase “thus saith the Lord” that appears just over 400 times in the Bible, indicating that God Himself spoke those words and had them recorded in the Bible for future generations to read.
- Also, the words of 2 Timothy 3:16 – “All Scripture is God-breathed” indicate that the words of the Bible came from God and no other source.
9. The Bible has been passed down accurately over the centuries
- One of the 10 reasons you can trust the Bible is that of all the ancient texts ever discovered, the Bible has the most surviving copies of its original documents.
- The Bible as we know it today has been put together from these copies of original documents, making it an original and reliable text.
8. The unity of the Bible
- Can you imagine this book was written by over 40 different authors, yet their messages remain the same?
- Though the Bible has diverse origins, with its books written in 3 different continents (Asia, Africa, and Europe), it has an underlying unity of purpose and consistency of thought running through it.
7. The accuracy of the Bible is confirmed by archaeology and history
- Over the years, archaeologists and historians have made discoveries that confirm what the Bible says about ancient customs, cities, towns, and battles.
- Because of its accuracy, the Bible is often used as a guide for archaeological excavations.
6. The Bible speaks of prophecies that are already fulfilled
- In the Old Testament book of Daniel, the rise and fall of the Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, and Romans was prophesied accurately several years before these events took place.
- Also, Old Testament prophecies concerning the birth, life, ministry, betrayal, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ all came true.
5. The Bible and science are in agreement
- First, the position of the sun, moon, and stars in the sky is exactly as the Bible describes them. Second, the astronomers have often said that the stars are yet to be fully enumerated, a statement that is echoed in Jeremiah 33:22 – as countless as the stars in the sky.
- Third, geological studies indicate that the great flood took place. Lastly, the water (hydrological) cycle as scientists know it today is accurately described in Job 36:27-28 and Ecclesiastes 1:6-7. What other proof do you need!
4. The Bible was written by eyewitnesses
- The authors of the Bile, particularly the New Testament, described everything to the most insignificant of details, indicating that they witnessed everything first hand.
- The accuracy of these eyewitness testimonies is supported by the fact that there was always additional evidence to support what they said.
3. The claims of Christ concerning the Scriptures
- Another of the 10 reasons you can trust the Bible is the fact that what Jesus claimed in the Scriptures came to pass. He foretold His resurrection before He died, and three days after He died, the tomb was empty!
- After His resurrection, Jesus appeared to His disciples, and He directed them back to the Word of God. As a result, most of the early believers died confessing and defending the facts of His death and resurrection.
2. The Bible has the power to change lives
- The words in the Bible are powerful enough to change lives, some of whom include the apostle Paul, CS Lewis, Martin Luther, etc.
- Some of the passages that have turned lives around over the ages include the Psalms of David (Psalm 23 in particular), The Ten Commandments, the Beatitudes and 1 Corinthians 13 (Paul’s teaching on love).
1. The Bible’s primary author can be trusted
- The primary author of this Book is behind its unity from beginning to end. It has a clear plan for mankind, pointing them toward redemption, from the promise in the Old Testament to the fulfillment in the New Testament.
- Through the life and death of Jesus, the Bible proves to mankind that God is loving and trustworthy.
Is the Bible Reliable?
Watch this video and hear all about the original manuscripts and how the Bible was transferred through so many generations to get to where we are today.
Most Popular Today
Start up a Conversation
Still unsure about what you heard, or just want to talk about it more?
Click below to start up a conversation about the bible.